- This event has passed.
Humboldt Steelhead Days
January 23, 2015 @ 6:00 pm - February 7, 2015 @ 10:00 pm
Come celebrate the winter steelhead run with a week long fishing contest, feasting and live music.
2015 marks the 2nd year of Humboldt Steelhead Days with an extended fishing contest range from the Mad River (hatchery) in Blue Lake off the 299 to the **Eel River (catch & release) in the Fortuna/Rio Dell area off Hwy 101. (Map and boundaries to come).
The event will kick off with a party & mixer Friday night at the Mad River Brewing Company Tap Room. The following morning, the steelhead fishing contest will commence at 7am. The contest will last until Feb. 7 and close at 5pm. We encourage you to hashtag (label) all your catches with #HumboldtSteelheadDays when uploading them to social media.
Family-friendly fishing fun will be offered Saturday afternoon starting at 1pm. The day will include fishing workshops led by local experts, fish focused arts & crafts for the kids. Then, later that night a variety show hosted by Dell’ Arte International.
The event will end with a awards dinner with expert speakers from CalTrout and Mad River Alliance, fish tales, a silent auction, chances to win more than $3000 worth of prizes and local microbrews.
Friday Jan. 23 @ 6 pm – 9 pm
Kick Off Party at Mad River Brewing Company.
Last minute sign-ups, meet the competition, purchase a membership, raffle & prizes!
Saturday, Jan. 24
Mad River Days at the Blue Lake Business Park.
7 am Mad & Eel River fishing contests begin at 7am Saturday Jan. 24 & run till 5 pm on Feb. 7.
- Catch and release steelhead fishing contest in the Eel River.
- Catch & keep a hatchery steelhead fishing contest in the Mad River.
1 pm – 4 pm
- Learn how to rig for steelhead like a pro.
- Learn humane catch & release technique.
- Family Fun Fish tales for toddlers, and Fish themed music.
- Arts & crafts throughout the day for the kids.
- Redwood Edventures Quests Overview/Brochures passed out.
7:30 pm – 9:30 pm
Family friendly variety show called, “Fish Tales,” hosted by Dell’ Arte International.
Saturday, Feb. 7 @ 6 pm- 10 pm
Awards Celebration Dinner ($25 value!)
- Location to be announced
- Steelhead Slideshow
- Guest speakers
- More than $3000 in Prizes & Awards
- Local Microbrews
Your ticket purchase/donation to Mad River Alliance or California Trout registers you for Humboldt Steelhead Days: $25 for adults and kids 0-12 are free. Register locally at RMI Outdoors in Eureka, Mad River Bait & Tackle in Arcata, Pacific Outfitters and Grundmans Sporting Goods in Rio Dell.
Once you are registered you will receive:
- Membership to Mad River Alliance and California Trout ($70 value)
- Entrance to Family Fun Day on Sat. Jan. 24. Includes all workshops!
- Chance to win prizes daily!
- Entry to Awards Dinner ($25 value)
- Maps and fishing boundaries as well as photo contest rules
* This two week family-fun fishing event encourages participants to get outside, learn about our watersheds, and to fish both the Mad River and the Eel River for either hatchery steelhead in the Mad, or wild steelhead in the Eel.
** Note: The Eel River is a catch & release river and the wild steelhead should be photographed in the water. Anglers should avoid taking fish out of the water if they can. Please revive your fish before releasing them.
If you would like to donate your time or services or donate prizes, gift certificates or sponsor this event, please contact Dave Feral at email@example.com