- Life in the Coast Redwoods education brochure
- additional animal cards
- the advanced Endangered Card (coming soon!)
- Connect, Protect and Restore Card (CPR card) to make the game more challenging (coming soon!)
Instructions for play: 2-4 players
- Put all the animal cards together and shuffle the deck.
- Deal out the entire deck evenly to each player face down.
- The youngest player goes first and calls out a category and value of their top card, (example: Rarity 8 or Predator 5).
- Each player than shows their top card and calls out their value for that category as well.
- The player with the highest value in that category wins all the cards and puts them at the bottom of their deck.
- The person who wins the cards goes again.
- Continue to play like this until one player has all the cards.
- If an endangered animal card is played, it is treated like any other card and the player with the highest value for that round wins the card.
- If two cards have the same value, then all the cards go into the center. The same player goes again and chooses a new category. The winner of the new hand gets the cards in the center also.
In this version, players will need a play stack and a separate stack for their winnings. When the play stack runs out, players shuffle their win stack. The win stack then becomes the play stack, and the cycle repeats itself.
Endangered Card and Connect, Protect and Restore Card (CPR)
- Shuffle the endangered card and the CPR card with the animal cards.
- Deal out the entire deck evenly and follow play as described above.
- When the endangered card appears, it activates the endangered card pile. That card is set aside, along with any endangered animals played on that turn. Whoever played the highest value non-endangered card on that turn wins the remaining animal cards.
- Play continues. Whenever an endangered animal is played, it automatically moves to the special endangered pile. When this occurs, only the non-endangered animals are eligible to win that turn.
- As the game progresses, endangered animal cards will accumulate in the special endangered pile.
- When a player reveals the CPR card, he/she receives the entire endangered pile, as well as the endangered card, and the cards from that turn. However, they do not receive the CPR card.
- After it is revealed, the CPR card remains face up in the play area for an additional turn. Whoever wins the next turn also wins the CPR card.
- If the CPR card is revealed before the endangered card has come into play, then whoever played the highest-value animal card wins the turn and also wins the CPR card.
- If the CPR card and the endangered card appear on the same turn, then whoever played the highest-value animal card wins the turn and receives both specialty cards.