- Montgomery Woods State Natural Reserve (external link) was established in 1945.
- Montgomery Woods is 2,743 acres.
- Located in Mendocino County, approximately 10 miles west of Ukiah as the crow flies.
- Located within the traditional lands of the Northern Pomo people.
- Half of the reserve is mature redwood forest and mixed-conifer forest of Douglas-firs and coast redwoods.
- Understory plants include giant chain fern, bracken fern, sword fern, huckleberry, and redwood sorrel.
- The reserve provides high-quality habitat for northern spotted owl, foothill yellow-legged frogs, rough-skinned newts, coast-range California newts, and red-bellied newts.