EXPLORE THE MAGIC OF THE FOREST WITH
READING THE REDWOODS
A free, online contest for kids in grades K-5 • March 10 to May 10, 2018
As part of Save the Redwoods League’s Centennial celebration in 2018, we encouraged children in elementary school throughout the country to explore the magic of the redwoods through books, stories, and activities. The inaugural Reading the Redwoods contest ran from March 10-May 10, 2018. In addition to the rewards of reading, prize packages awarded on a weekly basis and culminating in the chance to win a First Prize and Grand Prize.
880 children from across the country engaged in the following activities because of this contest:
- Read books with the help of an interactive book list
- Listen to stories about trees, forests, and redwoods
- Create their own photos, stories, or artwork
- Observe the redwood forest with a live webcam
- Find and explore the redwoods nearest you
Congratulations to Elianna, Emilio & Diego for winning the Grand Prize of:
- Accommodations: Three-day, two-night stay for up to five at the Best Western Humboldt Bay Inn, a family-friendly hotel in Old Town Eureka, close to shops, attractions, the Eureka boardwalk and more. Spa, heated pool and lagoon as well as limo service and breakfast included.
- Transportation: Voucher for up to $300 USD for car rental from the Eureka-Humboldt Visitors Bureau.
- Activities during your stay include A) a naturalist tour of Redwood National and State Parks, compliments of Redwood Adventures and B) either a kayak lagoon tour, Humboldt Bay oyster tour, or horseback ride in Redwood National Park, depending on winner interest and seasonal conditions.
- Meal for up to five at the Samoa Cookhouse, the oldest lumber mill-style eatery in the West.
- Complementary Hug the World’s Tallest Trees T-shirts from the Eureka-Humboldt Visitors Bureau.
- VIP guest passes to the Redwoods Festival in San Francisco in October 2018.
Congratulations to Justin who won a Riprock 24 children’s bike generously donated by Specialized.
Weekly Prize Packages
Congratulations our weekly prize winners:
- Week 1 — Solomon Cape and his daughter Mirabelle
- Week 2 — Marilyn Smith and her grandson Sabian
- Week 3 — Rhiya Puniani and her son Viraaj
- Week 4 — Alfredo Martinez and his nephew Noah
- Week 5 — Grace Prather and her son Layton
- Week 6 — Alicia Charmbury and her daughter Abby
- Week 7 — Cristina Amestoy and her daughter Katie
- Week 8 — Catherine Banta and her daughter Cleo
They each won:
- A backpack full of goodies for young explorers like a notebook, compass, sunscreen, and a water bottle – donated by REI.
- Boxes of Z Bars – donated by CLIF Bar.
- Books about the natural world including The Ancient One by T.A. Barron, Tall Tall Tree by Anthony Fredericks, Operation Redwood by S. Terrell French, and Where’s Rodney? by Carmen Bogan – donated by the authors.
- Totebag and goodies from Independent Bookstore Day on April 28.
- Recognition on ReadingTheRedwoods.org, in reading contest emails, and on Save the Redwoods League social media.
T. A. Barron, contest ambassador
“Books allow you to travel wherever you like – no ticket required. I invite families from everywhere to participate in this contest and discover a sense of wonder about nature.”
T. A. Barron, New York Times Bestselling Author and Save the Redwoods League Councilor
GRAND PRIZE GENEROUSLY DONATED BY
FIRST PRIZE GENEROUSLY DONATED BY
WEEKLY PRIZES PROVIDED BY
IN PARTNERSHIP WITH
For more information, contact Annie Burke at email@example.com