See the recipe for shortbread cookies with redwood tips in action. Music: Dash Hammerstein
Recipe: Shortbread Cookies With Redwood Tips
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp chopped redwood tips (or another herb you have on hand)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 egg yolk (I save the whites for my breakfast scrambled eggs)
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour (plus more for dusting)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sanding sugar (or granulated sugar), for rolling
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using your hands, rub together the sugar and the coast redwood tips until fragrant, about 1 minute. This allows the oils from the needles to be released, intensifying the flavor.
- Add the butter into the bowl and attach the bowl to an electric mixer, or use a hand mixer, and beat the mixture until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the egg yolk and continue to beat until combined.
- Add the flour and salt and mix on low until just combined. Gather into a ball and turn out onto a floured work surface.
- To make circular cookies, roll the dough into a log about 1 ½ inch in diameter. Wrap in parchment paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Remove dough from fridge and allow to soften slightly. Roll dough log in sanding, or granulated sugar, and slice into ¼-inch thick rounds. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown around the edges.
- Transfer to a rack and allow to cool completely.
Total Time:1 hour