Research Grant Pre-proposals are due on October 2, 2017. See Pre-proposal Instructions for submission information. If your Pre-proposal is selected by our review committee for further consideration, a complete application with full proposal is due on Tuesday, November 14, 2017.
Save the Redwoods League funds research that deepens our understanding of how to protect redwood forests in a changing environment. Proposals on all topics that advance conservation science for either coast redwood and giant sequoia forests are welcome in 2017. In addition to our general call for proposals this year, we are specifically seeking research that addresses the following:
- What are the impacts of historic and/or new road construction on the health of redwood trees?
- What is the efficacy of forest restoration treatments?
- What is the natural history and distribution of flora and fauna associated with the redwood forest?
Both new and recurring applicants are strongly encouraged to discuss proposed research in advance of Pre-proposal submission. Please contact Emily Burns, Director of Science & Education, at eburns@SaveTheRedwoods.org or (415) 820-5808 to discuss research ideas and questions about the Research Grant Program. Please note that all past grant recipients are required to submit an interim progress report or final report prior in order to be eligible for funding in the current grant cycle.
Please provide a two-page pre-proposal (excluding references) that addresses the following questions:
- What is the compelling research question?
- What methodology will be used to answer this question?
- What will we learn about redwood forests if we fund the research?
- How will the proposed research support the League’s conservation mission to protect, restore, and steward redwood forests?
- Is additional funding available to support this research?
- Who is the primary investigator and what is their background in the field?
Submit the Pre-proposal via email to our review committee at eburns@SaveTheRedwoods.org on October 2, 2017. If your proposal is selected for further consideration, you will be invited to submit a complete grant application with full proposal.
|RESEARCH GRANTS PROGRAM||IMPORTANT DATES|
|Pre-proposals due||October 2, 2017|
|Proposal notifications sent||October 11, 2017|
|Complete application for invited proposals due||November 14, 2017|
|Grant award notifications sent||December 15, 2017|
|Grant funding availability||By March 31, 2018|
- We only accept applications from nonprofit organizations (including universities and public agencies) as described in 26 USC Section 170(b) (1) (A) [other than clauses (vii) and (viii)] and not from individuals.
- Funding requests should not exceed $25,000 and matching funds are encouraged.
- The League does not fund indirect costs.
- Past grant recipients must have submitted an annual progress report or final report for all previous League grants in order to be eligible for funding in the current grant cycle.