Student Perspectives: This blog series was written by San Francisco State University students for the Recreational Use of Parks and Protected Areas course in 2016. The goal of the blog assignment was to show how student support of redwood parks can create new ways to foster equal access to nature by diverse communities. For this assignment, each student visited a local redwood park and wrote about their experience. Enjoy!
Escape the Tension of Everyday Life in the Redwoods
by Alana Featherly
As you enter a redwood forest, a sense of peace is sure to flow over you as you allow the ancient giants to cradle you in safety. Their size is so great that most sounds get absorbed, creating a unique quietness that can’t be found anywhere else. The trees are so tall that you won’t feel the wind, but you can hear it rustling way up above you. The rhythm of the swaying branches is so far away, its smooth silence soothes the overactive mind. The sight and sound of needles gently falling hundreds of feet to the ground gives you the same calming, hypnotic effect that rain does.
Standing beside a massive tree that makes you look like an ant, instantly leaves you and your challenges feeling humbled. As you ponder in awe at their mysterious beauty and magnificence, you feel the weight of your worries lessen, and you can breathe deeply, taking in the soft, refreshing peace in the air.
Tips for Your Trip
- Find out what redwood parks are around you and how to get there.
- Bring a friend or enjoy your time alone in a beautiful place.
- Lose yourself in the luxurious presence of some of the oldest and biggest living things on earth.
Did You Know?
- There’s a lot to love about nature and redwoods! The mountain of physical and mental benefits (external link) that spending time in nature has on adults and children is so long and varied that it surprises me every time. Learn some amazing facts about redwoods.
- Visiting a park can help the environment AND help YOU! Show your support, raise awareness, and help save the redwoods by visiting them, and you get all the health benefits, including better focus and sleep, lower blood pressure, and enhanced creativity. You won’t regret it! Don’t delay! Show your support and visit today!
Your local redwood park is waiting for you to visit. Find it today.